[gdm-list] QUERY_VT request denied: Not authenticated?

Hi folks,

Recently upgraded a bunch of workstations from Debian Sarge to Debian Etch. One of the workstations has started printing a ton of messages out -

Jul 29 16:18:13 somehost gdm[3439]: QUERY_VT request denied: Not authenticated

These things seem to be showing up in syslog almost constantly, on the order of one every three to ten minutes or so.

The workstation is working fine as far as the user and I can tell which is usually enough for me but my boss wants me to "find out what is causing these messages". There doesn't seem to be a lot on the Internet about this - A web search only pulls up about three pages of hits, maybe two and a half of which are just source files from gdm.

There is only this one workstation that keeps giving this message - it used to be running Debian Sarge and was upgraded in place to Debian Etch with apt-get install dist-upgrade - as were all the others.

Can anyone provide any hints as to how this might be resolved? Maybe there are just some broken permissions somewhere?

Really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,

Sean
scaron umich edu