Re: [gdm-list] a few gdm changes

Hey Ray,

On Dec 13, 2007 3:43 PM, Ray Strode <halfline gmail com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> So last week I wanted to hook up the session chooser.  I started
> looking into the code and noticed that it had a lot of duplication
> with the user chooser.  I guess it's pretty inevitable since the tree
> view requires a lot of boiler plate to get up and running.  Anyway, I
> tried to abstract out most of the bits that are in common into a
> "chooser" widget which is just a view and model together that supports
> the shrinking behavior found in the user-chooser.  It also adds
> mnemonics, which are pretty important for ally I think.
>
> I also added some hoaky animations to it.  It's not really a general
> purpose widget, just something that's useful in the context of the gdm
> greeter.
>
> In the name of hoaky animations, I made the login window slide to fit
> its contents as the contents change.   Not sure if the animations are
> a good idea but they look pretty nice on my laptop.  if they're
> something we want to keep then we should fix them  up to run in
> constant time instead of "go until done".
>
> When adding the session-chooser to glade file I noticed we didn't use
> glade's "Custom Widget" feature, so I made a change to do that
> instead.
>
> Anyway, now that I've got the session chooser added, I'm not sure I
> really like it.  Most of the time the user just doesn't care.  Maybe
> it shouldn't be in typical view?  Another question, is where should we
> put language and keyboard choosers?  I guess since they all have to do
> with the current use they should be grouped some how.  Does anyone
> have any opinions? We could do keyboard like gnome-screensaver does
> (as a little icon next to the input entry), although I'm not sure it's
> very discoverable there.
>
> I've put up a tiny build fix, too, that kjartan found and mentioned
> to me on irc.
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~halfline/1-configure-fix.patch
> http://www.gnome.org/~halfline/2-new-chooser-widget.patch
> http://www.gnome.org/~halfline/3-switch-user-chooser-over.patch
> http://www.gnome.org/~halfline/4-switch-session-chooser-over.patch
> http://www.gnome.org/~halfline/5-dont-shrink-in-test-program.patch
> http://www.gnome.org/~halfline/6-session-chooser-in-login-window.patch
> http://www.gnome.org/~halfline/7-login-window-animation.patch
>
> Thoughts?

Sorry for being so slow lately.  Great stuff, thanks!

I've committed all of these.  However, as I mentioned to you before
I'm not really a big fan of the session chooser.  It is definitely a
geek tool.  But for now this looks pretty good.

The animations look pretty cool.  For the next step we should try to
make the dialog window stay the same size as the contained widgets
resize themselves.  For me it bounces around quite a bit.

For some reason, and I haven't had a chance to look into it yet, the
"face" images don't show up in the list anymore.  However, they show
up fine when running the test programs.  Off the top of my head it
sounds like we may have between the settings daemon startup and the
icon rendering.  Just a guess.

Thanks again,
Jon