Re: [gdm-list] a few gdm changes

Hi,

> I really appreciate you helping with this.  Did you also add Failsafe
> login support.
No, I haven't done anything with failsafe.  Mostly I took code that
was there already and turned it on.

Is failsafe really interesting?  I mean the type of user that can use
a failsafe xterm, could just as easily use the text console for the
same effect right?   For a lot of users, though, a failsafe session
wouldn't be useful at all, and a lone terminal is a pretty confusing
failsafe anyway.

Even if we do have failsafe, does it make sense to treat it different
than other sessions?  Maybe we should just ship a desktop file that we
install in /usr/share/xsessions ?  If users of different desktop
environments expect different terminals, then maybe it should be up to
the individual desktop environments to provides the failsafe sessions?

> > I also added some hoaky animations to it.  It's not really a general
> > purpose widget, just something that's useful in the context of the gdm
> > greeter.
>
> Note that if you are using any custom widgets, that this probably means
> extra work will need to be done to make them work with a11y.
I don't think it will.  It's just a composition of stock widgets.
It's not doing any custom drawing or anything like that.

> Also we need to ensure that the interface is completely navigable via
> the keyboard.
One of the things the widget does is add frame with a label that has a mnemonic.

> I like the approach of using the menu like the old gdmlogin does.
Using a menu is an interesting idea.  We already have a bottom panel
like window.  I guess we could potentially have a top panel, ala the
default session, but instead of Applications Places System, stuff that
makes sense in a gdm context.  Might be a funky experience, i'm not
sure.

What do others think?
> We could also provide quick keybindings so that people can launch them
> quickly if they don't want to navigate the menus all the time.
I guess keybindings makes sense no matter how we do it.

> Buttons are also nice and a little easier to use than menus, perhaps a
> configurable Toolbar where the user can pick which buttons are available
> in the toolbar?
I'm not this should be configurable.  What does the user gain?  One
thing I'd like to avoid is the giant matrix of settings that the
current gdmsetup has.

--Ray