Re: [gdm-list] Network Latency on timeout

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 02:51:42PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Yes, I suspect it's DPMS.  xset -q shows:
>
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 1200    Suspend: 1800    Off: 2400
>   DPMS is Enabled
>   Monitor is On

Doesn't seem to be that -- or related go gdm.  Standby above is set
for 20 minutes.  My screen blanks after 10 minutes, but the LCD
backlight is still on.  That's when the latency shows up.

At the 20 minute mark the back light goes off (which is when DPMS is
kicking in) and then the latency stop.

I also ran Icewm window manager instead of GNOME and it exhibited the
same behavior, so, as we assumed, it's not specific to gdm.

So, it seems related to the xorg "BlankTime" setting, which is ten
minutes by default.

    xset -display :0.0 s activate

cause the latency to show up.

You would think if there's latency over my ssh connection to the
machine when the X screen saver is enabled that I'd see something
eating CPU.  I also tried running strace on every process that looked
like it might be related to X but nothing jumped out when activating
the X screen saver.

Odd.

Looks like I'm off to another list. ;)

--