Re: [gdm-list] Network Latency on timeout

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 03:59:49PM -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> Are you saying that GDM is running and that after some time the
> screen blanks?  If you aren't running some sort of screensaver
> process along with GDM, then this might be some built-in power
> management feature.  GDM itself doesn't blank your screen after
> any timeout.

Yes, I suspect it's DPMS.  xset -q shows:

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 1200    Suspend: 1800    Off: 2400
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

Although running "xset dpms force standby" (or anything else) blanks the
LCD screen but I can also see that it turns off the LCD back light.

But, when the latency happens the screen goes blank but I can see that
the back light is still on.  Later, when the back light is turned off
is when the latency seems to go away.

Sure would make debugging less painful if I didn't have to wait 20
minutes for the problem to show up... ;)

> You need the Xauth key that the gdm GUI programs are running as.  The
> root user should be able to get these from /var/lib/gdm.  Or you could
> configure GDM to run in unprotected "xauth +" mode.  I wouldn't advise
> running on the network this way, but for running a few tests off
> the network, it should be okay.

Ok, I'll try and figure this out.  Problem with running modern
distributions is things just work -- mostly.  So my debugging skills
have suffered.

Thanks for the help!

--
Bill Moseley