[gdm-list] Network Latency on timeout

I have a latency issue, but I doubt it's related directly to gdm.  But
maybe someone can give me some ideas where to look.

I have a new Thinkpad T60p running Ubuntu Feisty that I often will
connect to my local LAN, boot it, and close the laptop's lid.  I then
connect to it via SSH.

After a few minutes the ssh sessions become very slow exhibiting a lot
of latency when typing.  I have noticed this happens when the gdm
screen blanks.  If I touch the mouse on the laptop to bring back the
gdm login screen the latency in my ssh session goes away.

Running top does not show that any process (e.g. screen saver) is
running using CPU, and the load average is showing 0.01 (or less ;).

I don't notice any additional network traffic when the latency shows
up.

And then if I wait long enough for the screen to turn off (instead of
just blank) the latency seems to goes away.

I suspect this is an xorg issue, although I only see it when gdm
blanks.  If I first log in and let the laptop sit until the screen
blanks I don't see the latency.  That may be related to how GNOME
times out, though.

I'd like to test dpms (to see if that's really what triggers
the latency) by forcing the monitor blank and off.

If I log in with gdm on the laptop then via an ssh session I can run
DISPLAY=:0.0 xset -q.  But, how can I access xset over ssh when the
laptop is sitting at a gdm login?  I tried su'ing to both root and to
user "gdm" which is what gdmgreeter is running as.

I've posted a few other places without any luck, so at this point I'm
just looking for debugging suggestions.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley