Re: [gdm-list] Auto Login Widgetry

Oren:

What might work is to enable the Face Browser and show this "guest" user
there.  You can use Include/Exclude to limit only the "guest" user to show
up as a "button" to select.  If your system is properly configured to not
require a password for this user with PAM, then GDM shouldn't ask for a
password and just log in.  In the past month or so, there was some
discussion about how to configure GDM users to not require password entry
so you can refer back to that thread in the archives for more information
on that.

So with this setup, clicking on the "guest" user in the face browser
should just cause it to log into that session.  This wouldn't work so
well if the "guest" account has a dynamic name for each user.  If you
are using the same username for each user in "setup mode", aren't you
worried that users could snoop on other processes running as the same
user and watch other users do their setup, or is the setup information
not sensitive?

You could probably do something with the PreSession script to cause
the user to be changed to something more dynamic like "guest###"
even though they would log in as user "guest".

Brian

Is it possible to create a button in a greeter theme that automatically logs the user as a specified user? To make things a little clearer, our uni uses a generic account for people to login with to get their initial accounts / passwords set up. Currently the theme just says "to get your password login with..." but it would be much easier if it could just have a "click here to get for initial account setup".

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any mention of something like this in the documentation. The closest I can see is:

custom_cmd_button[0-9]

    Runs the n-th custom command.

although I can't tell what types of command this includes and where these can be customised.

Does this functionality exist in gdm?

Thanks!

Oren Nachman