Re: [gdm-list] My questions

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 01:25:11PM -0700, Bob Doolittle wrote:
> I don't understand your conclusion here.  PAM is
> request-response, but this has nothing to do with wanting a
> username first.  There is no such requirement.  A username
> request/response is no different from any other user
> interaction, and there is no requirement that this be one of
> the interactions.
As I said it was possible that i am wrong. Last time when i worked on this
issue it was 2002 i think.. Then i was left with the impression that it was not easy/possible
to achive the kind of functionality i hoped for. Maybe i did not dig too deep though or
it was just a sad combination of software stacked up so that it did not work so.

I'll STFW/RTFM a bit more on the topic.

> If *MUSCLE* provides an event notification mechanism for
> smartcard-insert, then a PAM module can block waiting for
> this event.  When it receives such an event, it can access
> the card to read the username, set PAM_USER, then do
> whatever other interactions are required.

I guess at that time i even didn't work with GDM but pure login services...

peace,
m.
--
martin paljak