Re: [gdm-list] My questions

Working closely with smartcards (that is, opensc.org) I can say that this list is not bad either
for things that relate to GDM and smartcards login. What i can also tell is that most folks
at muscle and/or opensc mailing list (as muscle can be reduced to pkcs#11 and we have two different pkcs#11
related pam modules) tell you is to use one of the available pam modules OR to extend them ;)

What you're facing here most probly is what is often requested when smart card logon is investigated:

Something that would react on card insertion, read from there something that would result in a suername
and then only ask for a single pin and start the session.

Last time when i checked this was not possible with PAM. Because PAM, as writte nearlier, works on a
request-response mechanism and thus always wants first a username to start with.

What can be done is embedding-extending GDM with tools like pkcs11_evenmgr (might not be the right name,
check from opensc.org) that would trigger gdm with a correct username already extracted from
a certificate when a card is inserted. I might be wrong though.

Feel free to drop a mail to opensc-devel opensc org but it would fall back to PAM issues anyway.

If PAM would support such event notification, GDM would support it and one of pkcs#11 based pam modules would
support it too. If not - we should either get PAM support it directly or maybe extend GDM to handle
some kind of 'events' and THEN still combine it with PAM.

Everything else except this issue can be and should be solved with pam.

I once faced a similar problem and then solved it with some wrappers around GDM and a custom card even handler daemon
that is now superseded by pam_pkcs11 tools.

cheers,
m.