Re: Fwd: gdm console login

Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:
> I'm not sure the best way to implement this since whether or not the
> console login program is running underneath GDM is distribution
> dependant.

kdm has two modes (determined at compile time):
- "dtlogin mode" which assumes that each x server covers a getty. the
  underlying tty is monitored for activity (utmp polling). this is
  directly based on observations of solaris, so i suppose a sun employee
  will be able to reimplement the functionality, too. ;)
- "linux mode" which assumes that x servers run on their own vts. so
  when the user chooses console login he obviously does not want *any* x
  logins left. consequently all x servers are shut down (with the usual
  active session shutdown confirmation) and afterwards all gettys (from
  a configurable set) are watched for activity; only when there are no
  tty logins left, the x server(s) are resumed.

the code is all in kdebase/kdm/backend/dm.c.