Re: disabling logout actions?

Simon:

The "SecureSystemMenu" option is not an official GDM option.  Perhaps your
distribution has added this feature to GDM.  GDM does not support a feature
that allows the System Menu to require a password.  It seems like a good
feature, though.  Perhaps we could get the patch to support
"SecureSystemMenu" into the GDM codebase?

Anyway, I think I understand your problem a bit better now.  I would
recommend you use the Themed Greeter (gdmgreeter) and edit the theme
files to remove the Shutdown button from the GUI, so the only interface
for shutting down the machine is via the menu.  I'm assuming
SecureSystemMenu supports both gdmgreeter and gdmlogin.  This isn't a
great answer if your users have accessibility needs (blind/low-vision/
on-screen-keyboard) since only gdmlogin works well for a11y.

This would be better, I think, than hacking your PostSession script.

Brian

Try setting the HaltCommand in gdm.conf to nothing.  That should turn it
off.
But that will also disable the "Shutdown" option in the "Actions" menu, no? I'd like that option, but password protected (mind you, it'd be nice to specify an alternate user than root to auth that, but thats another issue).

Moral: I'd like to enable shutdown, as long as it's authenticated.
        LOGOUT_ACTION is only authenticated by the fact that they logged in
        [to the local console].

I'm happy enough with my workaround to make it work, but I just think that the authorisation for shutting the machine down should be fixed up.

Cheers,

  - Simon

I recently found that gnome could shutdown my machine, regardless of the setting of "SecureSystemMenu=true" in gdm.conf.

It appears that it does a SET_SAFE_LOGOUT_ACTION REBOOT, which gdm executes. I can't find any way to turn this off in the gdm options.

Is there a way to disable it?

If not, I believe there should be. Ideally it should at least be consistent with the "SecureSystemMenu" option, or probably have its own option.

As a temporary workaround, I think I should be able to do:
/usr/bin/gdmflexiserver --sm-disable -a -c "SET_LOGOUT_ACTION NONE"

in the PostSession script. But this is not nice, nor obvious.

Cheers,

  - Simon