Re: Customizing gdm

Hi,

George wrote:

There was a patch a long time ago that was adding scripts (plugins, I can't

is 6 months long time? maybe in the opensource world after all..

reference to it, and forgot about it until today when it came to my mind with
respect to this.  To bad it's past feature freeze date for gnome 2.4 ... :(

I had done a change into the greeter to enable an XML element to describe an executable. This executable when run would output some XML snippets that were added in the XML tree of the gdm theme
and parsed as usual by the greeter.
Actually when I read around the greeter, the architecture screams for a refactoring where dynamic elements could easily be added. Unfortunately, I have now pain in my hands due to a RSI so I never did really go further down that
path...

a screenshot (yes my desktop is in Japanese :)): this screenshot shows what happens with a little script that checks my POP
account before I log in on my personal machine...
  * http://www.acesoliton.com/~gproux/Screenshot.png *
a patch that applied cleanly on 2.4.1.1
  * http://www.acesoliton.com/~gproux/dynamicgdm_patch.diff *

cheers,