RE: Customizing gdm

-----Original Message-----
From: George [mailto:jirka 5z com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 4:17 PM
To: Inger, Slav (S.B.)
Cc: 'gdm SunSITE dk'
Subject: Re: Customizing gdm

> No, this is not possible (at least not currently).  The pam framework is
> really a question and answer kind of thing.  You can set up a pam module that
> asks a question, but to have a UI element for it would require hacking the
> actual greeter.  I can't see a general way of doing this with PAM currently,
> that could be integrated into GDM proper.
>
> The other buttons really don't do anything with PAM itself.  The only thing
> interacting with PAM is the entry box.  And currently the PAM standard
> only defines a question that asks for a string.
>
> It is possible that you could somehow recognise a question and use some sort
> of a UI element for it, and this is how the face browser works in the current
> CVS HEAD.
>
> It would be interesting to have some sort of a general framework for adding
> extra info widgets to the greeter, perhaps by loadable modules or some such.

Thanks for the reply, George.  So I take it, the way it stands today, there is no way to introduce a custom element into the gdm greeter period, be it PAM-dependent or not.  I realize this is a gdm-specific list, so I apologize in advance for asking this question:  are there any other common Linux *dm's (KDM, XDM, etc) that anyone is aware of that do support this functionality?  We have a very specific requirement that needs to be fulfilled by introducing a custom widget onto the login screen - feedback will be most appreciated.

- Slav Inger
- vinger ford com