Re: [gDesklets] About Desklets in gDesklets

Robo Pastierovic wrote:

Xusheng Hou Sun COM wrote:
Hello there,

I was working on test all the desklets on

http://gdesklets.zencomputer.ca/.

Since sensors are deprecated, only few of the desklets working on solaris and a lot of them are buggy.

Below is a list of the desklets working(more or less) on OpenSolaris;):

1. Bear
2. all the Calendars
3. Clock desklet 0.50
4. Clock with chime
5. Countdown2
6. Dino Cam
7. Ephemeride
8. FlickrFrame
9. FTB 0.3.2
10. Gauges desklet 0.52
11. Gleo
12. GnomeBar
13. Just an Icon
14. mYTraffic
15. NewsGrab
16. NewsTicker
17. Quote of the Day
18. Reloj
19. RhythmBox
20. SideCandy
21. SideCandy DiskInfo
22. SideCandy DiskIO
23. SideCandy HDD
24. SideCandy Mount
25. SideCandy RAM
26. SideCandy RhythmBox
27. SideCandy Uptime
28. SideCandy Users
29. Styx
30. Sudoko
31. Weekly Calendar 0.41
32. WorldClock/World Time

Again, when I was testing all the desklets, the category is really big mass!
In my Opinion, we should keep it as simple as possible like the category on the official website:

   * Alarms & Alerts
   * Date & Time
   * Fun & Amusements
   * Internet & Email
   * Music & Audio
   * News
   * System Information
   * Toolbars & Launchers
   * Weather
   * Miscellaneous
* Dictionaries & Translation
That's should be enough.

I support the idea if keeping it as simple as possible.
And could somebody give me a list which desklets are going to be default in gDesklets? The default ones in Opensolaris at the moment are Clock, WorldTime and Calendar.
I would include there only such that are under GPL license.
I thought they are all under GPL, aren't they. If not , it might be good to mark their license on the website to make it clear.

In
launchpad are currently: Calendar and Quote-of-the-Day. Clock desklet is
also under GPL afaik. I'm waiting for Martin Grimme, if he will upload
it there. Or can I do it myself along with the latest patch?
He fixed some bug in Clock and might under a slow internet connection. So I have commit the fixed Clock to the official website as Legacy user. We should ask him if he could upload it there. I haven't got time to figure out how to upload to launchpad;)

 Next, it should not be too many desklets there, I would prefer 5 to
10. If there will be some more useful desklets available as these ones
and we won't have much time to maintain them all, some may be dropped.
I agree. Need to pick up some good desklets which are not too buggy.

 Next candidate should be imho a desklet showing CPU load and memory
availability
The SideCandy CPU is not working on Solaris at the moment. Will take a look at this.

- some nice graphic one as is in Vista for example would be
great.
SlideShow from Sean is really nice. Would be great to have this one.

Also there are a lot very good desklets like GoodWeather but not working because of the Sensor. Should give a list of first priority desklets to convert Sensors to Controls.
 I'm not sure if it's under GPL and if this desklet does not infringe
some Yahoo license (will look at it, I promise).
I am working on update the Opensolaris gDesklets' website.
Will put on more information on the website soon hopefully;)

 If you have some time you may write some paragraphs into documentation
too :)
I did write some instructions both for gDesklets engine and Desklets.
But need to give a good explaination for the relations between gDesklets Daemon and gDesklets Shell.
Any body could give some definition or sth for that?
By the way, which documentation do you mean? The one in lauchpad?
Need to figure out how to use launchpad first;)

 BTW, will be the 0.3x core uploaded to launchpad or not? I would
implement the documentation into the shell menu if it will be finished
and no one objects.
 BTW #2, there's an gDesklet package on launchpad intended to be used
in next Ubuntu release GG. I think it's a good news.
Great news!

Thanks,

Xusheng Hou

Cheers,