Re: [gDesklets] About Desklets in gDesklets

Xusheng Hou Sun COM wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I was working on test all the desklets on
>
> http://gdesklets.zencomputer.ca/.
>
> Since sensors are deprecated, only few of the desklets working on
> solaris and a lot of them are buggy.
>
> Below is a list of the desklets working(more or less) on OpenSolaris;):
>
> 1. Bear
> 2. all the Calendars
> 3. Clock desklet 0.50
> 4. Clock with chime
> 5. Countdown2
> 6. Dino Cam
> 7. Ephemeride
> 8. FlickrFrame
> 9. FTB 0.3.2
> 10. Gauges desklet 0.52
> 11. Gleo
> 12. GnomeBar
> 13. Just an Icon
> 14. mYTraffic
> 15. NewsGrab
> 16. NewsTicker
> 17. Quote of the Day
> 18. Reloj
> 19. RhythmBox
> 20. SideCandy
> 21. SideCandy DiskInfo
> 22. SideCandy DiskIO
> 23. SideCandy HDD
> 24. SideCandy Mount
> 25. SideCandy RAM
> 26. SideCandy RhythmBox
> 27. SideCandy Uptime
> 28. SideCandy Users
> 29. Styx
> 30. Sudoko
> 31. Weekly Calendar 0.41
> 32. WorldClock/World Time
>
> Again, when I was testing all the desklets, the category is really big mass!
> In my Opinion, we should keep it as simple as possible like the category
> on the official website:
>
>     * Alarms & Alerts
>     * Date & Time
>     * Fun & Amusements
>     * Internet & Email
>     * Music & Audio
>     * News
>     * System Information
>     * Toolbars & Launchers
>     * Weather
>     * Miscellaneous
>     * Dictionaries & Translation
>
> That's should be enough.

I support the idea if keeping it as simple as possible.
> And could somebody give me a list which desklets are going to be default
> in gDesklets?
> The default ones in Opensolaris at the moment are Clock, WorldTime and
> Calendar.

  I would include there only such that are under GPL license. In
launchpad are currently: Calendar and Quote-of-the-Day. Clock desklet is
also under GPL afaik. I'm waiting for Martin Grimme, if he will upload
it there. Or can I do it myself along with the latest patch?
  Next, it should not be too many desklets there, I would prefer 5 to
10. If there will be some more useful desklets available as these ones
and we won't have much time to maintain them all, some may be dropped.
  Next candidate should be imho a desklet showing CPU load and memory
availability - some nice graphic one as is in Vista for example would be
great.
> Also there are a lot very good desklets like GoodWeather but not working
> because of the Sensor.
> Should give a list of first priority desklets to convert Sensors to
> Controls.

  I'm not sure if it's under GPL and if this desklet does not infringe
some Yahoo license (will look at it, I promise).
> I am working on update the Opensolaris gDesklets' website.
> Will put on more information on the website soon hopefully;)

  If you have some time you may write some paragraphs into documentation
too :)
  BTW, will be the 0.3x core uploaded to launchpad or not? I would
implement the documentation into the shell menu if it will be finished
and no one objects.
  BTW #2, there's an gDesklet package on launchpad intended to be used
in next Ubuntu release GG. I think it's a good news.

Cheers,

Robo