Re: Problems after installing schemas from a spec file

Hi,

I have an application that uses gconf to store some preferences. I distribute my app in RPM format, with a .spec file that installs my
schemas in the following way:

export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=`gconftool-2 --get-default-source`
export SCHEMA=%{_sysconfdir}/gconf/schemas/<myappname>.schemas
gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule $SCHEMA > /dev/null

Until some time ago (maybe coincidentally, before gnome 2.6 and Fedora Core 2 were released), my users did not report any problems
with the installation.

But now I am getting reports from people running gnome 2.6 that after installation, only root is able to execute the program (I do
not run 2.6, so I am unable to test things myself). What we found
is that normal users are not able to read the keys/values, and that
is because my program's keys/vals are not being installed for them.

	My guess is that when gconftool-2 installs the schemas the files or
directories are created readable only by the owner - i.e.
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/gnochm/preferences/%gconf.xml could
be created 700. Ask your users to check this and report back.

	I'm not sure what the root cause is or why I haven't see this myself,
but maybe it might ring a bell with someone else.
I've recently seen that issue, where the root umask applies to the files created by running gconftool. The spec file probably needs to be modified to explicitly set the umask before running the command. Maybe the default root umask has changed recently in the user environment.

Cyrille