Re: Problems after installing schemas from a spec file

Hi,

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 09:40, Rubens Ramos wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I have an application that uses gconf to store some preferences. I
> distribute my app in RPM format, with a .spec file that installs my
> schemas in the following way:
>
> export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=`gconftool-2 --get-default-source`
> export SCHEMA=%{_sysconfdir}/gconf/schemas/<myappname>.schemas
> gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule $SCHEMA > /dev/null
>
>  Until some time ago (maybe coincidentally, before gnome 2.6 and
> Fedora Core 2 were released), my users did not report any problems
> with the installation.
>
>  But now I am getting reports from people running gnome 2.6 that
> after installation, only root is able to execute the program (I do
> not run 2.6, so I am unable to test things myself). What we found
> is that normal users are not able to read the keys/values, and that
> is because my program's keys/vals are not being installed for them.

	My guess is that when gconftool-2 installs the schemas the files or
directories are created readable only by the owner - i.e.
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/gnochm/preferences/%gconf.xml could
be created 700. Ask your users to check this and report back.

	I'm not sure what the root cause is or why I haven't see this myself,
but maybe it might ring a bell with someone else.

Cheers,
Mark.