Re: Faster automatic shutdown

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 06:55, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 14:28, Sean Atkinson wrote:
> > My setup is Red Hat 9 with Ximian Desktop 2, all fully updated (i.e.
> > GConf2-2.2.0-1.ximian.6.7).
>
> 	There are a couple of simple solutions. For a trivial demo, simply add
> 'ORBIIOPIPv4=1' to /etc/orbitrc on both machines, killall -9 gconfd-2
> everywhere and it'll work off the remote gconfd.

If you do this you must make sure that workstation1 can see workstation2

Which is not terribly possible in lots of roaming network configurations
- for example members of an afs cell. Not to mention that the security
status of orbit is not terribly known.

> 	For a different solution, install Gnome 2.4's gconfd which uses local
> locks by default [ I believe ], and killall -9 gconfd-2 everywhere
> again.

When we tested the local locks under gnome 2.2 you could fairly
trivially corrupt your config by changing settings on one machine and
then again on the other.

-sv