Faster automatic shutdown

Hi,

I want to demonstrate users roaming between machines with NFS mounted
/home.  As you can probably guess, the gconfd-2 hangs around after a
session logout causing a warning regarding the existing use of
preferences if another login is attempted on a separate machine within a
couple of minutes (in fact I timed 100 seconds).

Generally perhaps users could just wait or not even swap over fast
enough to notice, but for a short demo it's a pain.  I know this topic's
been discussed already, but I can't seem to find the solution I need.

There's some relevant advice on http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/:

You could put a "gconftool --shutdown" in your .logout script or the
like, if you want it to exit sooner.

However after playing with various scripts, I can't figure out how to
apply this.  Gnome doesn't seem to have direct support for logout
scripts.  I also get the impression that the command must be issued from
within the Gnome environment to connect to the server, which complicates
things.

My setup is Red Hat 9 with Ximian Desktop 2, all fully updated (i.e.
GConf2-2.2.0-1.ximian.6.7).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sean.