Re: LDAP Backend for Gconf?

Hi guys,

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 03:56, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Also be warned that it might be very hard to get your stuff into
> > the main gconf tree.

	This is a shame; as Havoc says; if we havn't blown it altogether with
your patience - it'd be _really_ good to have people working in this
area.

	My feeling is that something is better than nothing - especially when
we can build on it later. I'm totally clueless wrt. LDAP, but having
poked at the book in front of me on it - I'm wondering about.

	a) Notifications - does LDAP transmit 'key changed' type
	   notifications such as Gconf needs to keep stuff in sync /
	   efficiently cached. I'd assume it must, only when I look up
	   'monitoring' it's all about SNMP [1]

	b) dis-connected operation, perhaps in-client caching, and local
	   schema fallback is ok here; problems might be - ensuring that
	   the local schemas were synched with the remote ones etc.

	Either way - I think none of the problems are that big. There is plenty
of room for fixing in gconf as it is.

> Anyway IMO there's some pretty fun hacking to do there, and it isn't
> that huge a task in terms of lines of code, but it will take a lot of
> careful thought and coding. I keep hoping to be able to do it myself
> sometime.

	Unfortunately Havoc has to be one of the busyest people in Gnome so I'd
recommend not waiting for him to do it himself ;-) Indeed - the mere
fact that this is a fun part of the desktop should mean that other
people should do it.

	Ben / Thomas - any chance of resurrecting that patch ?

	Regards,

		Michael.

[1] - this book also includes key chapters such as 'Leveraging your
Directory Service' :-) if only I could find my leveraging implement.