Re: gar.gnome.mk download location suggestion

> Thanks for taking the time to explain and for your additional research.
> A lot has to do with luck, time of day, and where the person is located.

You're welcome, Peter.

> One thing I could not figure out is the comment at the top of gar.gnome.mk.
> How is the default location Sweden? Is gnome.org in Sweden?

Indeed, it is. :)  [1]

Actually, I wondered about this comment myself before. But since there
are mirrors out there (see the MIRRORS file) and I happen to know the
master gnome.org site is located in Sweden, I quickly forgot about that
again.

Your question made me check on details, though. Maybe interesting for
you to know. Also, thanks for keeping me on my toes. ;)

After a brief check it turned out, "some" of these mirrors appear to be
broken or of limited usefulness only. Reported to the sysadmins already.

However, there *are* mirrors out there, that might be closer to you or
better connected (network wise). Out of the two USA mirrors, buffalo.edu
seems to be fully synced.

Also, after some quick searching, it appears, there used to be much more
active mirrors. I guess that comment dates back to a time, where picking
a mirror out of a large list still was more common, and acc.umu.se was
not yet blessed with an infrastructure as it is today.

> Nonetheless, you're correct. I forever tweak and even incremental
> improvements in performance over many packages will make a potentially
> large difference.
>
> I'll keep experimenting and will report anything new.

Gladly appreciated. :)

  guenther

[1] See the master http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/ [2] and go up one
    directory.