Re: question about garnome startup script ...

On Sat, 19 May 2007 01:03:40 +0800, Kuang-Chun Cheng wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the info.

np

snip...
>> See the README file for full examples.
>

> Although I'm not 100% sure (I don't want to test before I got some
> suggestions from here), I believe this method will affect other users on
> the same Linux box.

Yes, that is correct. The instructions in the README will kill existing
processes for dbus, hal, and avahi. So, to keep the system versions
running, follow the instructions that I wrote below.

> OR, here's what I do as I also have dbus, hal, and avahi running.
>>
>> 1) Be sure to have proper versions of all running. 2) Adjust the
>> garnome startup scripts to avoid killing and restarting garnome's
>> versions of dbus, hal, and avahi. This will ensure that your versions
>> are running.
>> 3) Adjust the garnome startup script to something similar to this:
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>>
>> GARNOME=$HOME/garnome
>>
>> PATH=$GARNOME/bin:$PATH
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GARNOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>> PYTHONPATH=$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/site-packages:$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/
>> site-packages/gtk-2.0
>> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig GDK_USE_XFT=1
>> XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share
>> XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$GARNOME/etc/xdg
>> MANPATH=$GARNOME/man:$MANPATH
>> # take this line out because it hard codes in the garnome path
>> #DBUS_LAUNCH="$GARNOME/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session" # replace
>> it simply with this
>> DBUS_LAUNCH="dbus-launch --exit-with-session"
>>
>> export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH PYTHONPATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH \
>>        GDK_USE_XFT XDG_DATA_DIRS XDG_CONFIG_DIRS MANPATH DBUS_LAUNCH
>>
>> exec $DBUS_LAUNCH $GARNOME/bin/gnome-session
>

> This way is not good enough for me too.

Why? This routine is mandatory for any user wishing to use garnome. It
allows for system versions of dbus to run and can be tailored to fit many
circumstances (including pulling in kde menus, alternate python paths,
etc.)

>  But thanks anyway. Unless
> Garnome itself is buggy, I hope I can have two independent 'stable'
> GNOME co-exist on my Linux box, so users can choose to have up-to-date
> GNOME experiences.

You can have multiple garnome installations, and just use a different
startup script.

Read the README again.

> The perfect solution I can think at this moment is running GARNOME on
> Xnest/Xephr or XClient using other display number eg :1.0 or :2.0. Or
> maybe chroot solution ... anyone has successfully done this ?
>
> If GARNOME is not designed for this kind of use, I think I will simply
> setup another Linux box to test new GNOME.

Give it a shot with these suggestions.

--
Peter