Re: question about garnome startup script ...

Hi

Thanks for the info.

On 5/19/07, Peter <sw98234 hotmail com> wrote:
On Fri, 18 May 2007 22:09:56 +0800, Kuang-Chun Cheng wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just download Garnome-2.18.1 and successfully installed it. I use a
> new account called 'garnome' which I want to use to test Garnome.
>
> In document http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/docs.html I found that
> Starting GARNOME
> To use GARNOME you will first need to start the DBus, HAL, and Avahi
> daemons. You can use the script below to do this ....
>
> But my Linux (SL5.0 or RHEL/5.0) already had dbus and hal running. Do I
> need to kill the  running dbus and hal daemon and use the Garnome
> version for the whole system ???  That sounds not good for me because
> I'm not the only one using the Linux box ... and I'm worry about will
> this affect other users ?
>
> If I can run Garnome session under Xnest or Xephr ... using a specific
> user which
> will NOT affect other users on the same Linux box, .... that will be
> perfect to me.
>
> This is the 1st time I use Garnome.
>
> Thanks
> KC
> Hi,<br><br>I just download Garnome-2.18.1 and successfully installed
> it.<br>I use a new account called 'garnome' which I want to use
> href="" href="http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/docs.html"> http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/docs.html">
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/docs.html</a><br>I found
> start the DBus, HAL, and Avahi daemons. You can use the script below to
> dbus and hal running.<br>Do I need to kill the running dbus and
> hal daemon and use the Garnome<br>version for the whole system ???
> That sounds not good for me because <br>I'm not the only one using
> the Linux box ... and I'm worry about will this<br>affect other
> users ?<br><br>If I can run Garnome session under Xnest or Xephr ...
> using a specific user which<br>will NOT affect other users on the same
> Linux box, .... that will be perfect to me. <br><br>This is the 1st time

You have two choices. Allow the garnome scripts to kill all existing
dbus, hal, and avahi processes and spawn its own versions. This will
assure compatibility with all garnome features.

See the README file for full examples.

Although I'm not 100% sure (I don't want to test before I got some
suggestions from here), I believe this method will affect other users on
the same Linux box.

OR, here's what I do as I also have dbus, hal, and avahi running.

1) Be sure to have proper versions of all running.
2) Adjust the garnome startup scripts to avoid killing and restarting
garnome's versions of dbus, hal, and avahi. This will ensure that your
versions are running.
3) Adjust the garnome startup script to something similar to this:

#!/bin/bash

GARNOME=$HOME/garnome

PATH=$GARNOME/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GARNOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PYTHONPATH=$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/site-packages:$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/
site-packages/gtk-2.0
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
GDK_USE_XFT=1
XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$GARNOME/etc/xdg
MANPATH=$GARNOME/man:$MANPATH
# take this line out because it hard codes in the garnome path
#DBUS_LAUNCH="$GARNOME/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session"
# replace it simply with this
DBUS_LAUNCH="dbus-launch --exit-with-session"

export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH PYTHONPATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH \
       GDK_USE_XFT XDG_DATA_DIRS XDG_CONFIG_DIRS MANPATH DBUS_LAUNCH

exec $DBUS_LAUNCH $GARNOME/bin/gnome-session

This way is not good enough for me too.  But thanks anyway.
Unless Garnome itself is buggy, I hope I can have two independent
'stable' GNOME co-exist on my Linux box, so users can choose to have
up-to-date GNOME experiences.

The perfect solution I can think at this moment is running GARNOME
on Xnest/Xephr or XClient using other display number eg : 1.0 or :2.0.
Or maybe chroot solution ... anyone has successfully done this ?

If GARNOME is not designed for this kind of use, I think I will simply
setup another Linux box to test new GNOME.

Best Regards
KC

Depending on how you use garnome, this approach may work flawlessly, OR
you may have things break here and there. By removing these three core
programs, you are introducing a lot of moving parts to the process.

For my uses (I run gnome applications mostly without running gnome), I
have no problems with system-wide versions of dbus, hal, and avahi.

--
Peter