Re: Slackware 11 (rc5) and gar 2.16.0 issues

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:35:28 +0000, Peter wrote:

> I am new to garnome, but wanted to build it for Slackware 11. I have not
> succeeded yet. I have a couple of questions and observations:
>
> obv) Slackware ships Seamonkey and the whole dev libraries. Epiphany and
> other programs that expect either mozilla or firefox don't like this and
> configure halts. I think xulrunner will be needed.
>
> question) Is it normal for gar to build all libraries in the gnome
> directory even if they are already installed on the host? For example, I
> have cairo 1.2.4 installed yet it is compiled again (causes errors about
> symbols undefined as explained in another post.)
>> FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden... yes
>> checking for FT_Load_Sfnt_Table... yes
>
> Yet the symbol is deemed undefined later.
>
> question) Looking at the conf files, is gar even looking at the traditional
> library paths? Or does it automatically create all dependent libraries?
> Can this behavior be modified?
>
> Right now, I have not gotten through the whole process, but if I do, will
> report how :)

OK. With the stock Slackware 11 (rc5) the following did not compile:

ekiga
epiphany
yelp

Epiphany and yelp are dependent on mozilla libraries and headers. It does
not like seamonkey. ekiga has the already-noted problem with the cairo or
freetype libraries and undefined symbols.

The following additional applications are not provided and have to be
compiled separately:

XML::Simple
Pyrex
libpng-1.2.12

In addition, if, like me, the user does not wish to use the gnome desktop
-- just some applications, the startup scripts and daemons don't
necessarily need to be loaded. Having a path to the gnome installation
area is helpful though. It's not clear yet if LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to be
set to include the gnome libraries. I don't think so.

Lastly, stripping the binaries and libraries will save some space, between
200-300mb.

I have a question. If a user only wants certain applications, say
evolution, can he/she simply do a make install in that dir and will all
dependencies come in? Or, does the whole desktop make paranoid-install
have to be done?

Excellent work!
--
Peter