Re: Gnome menu empty after installation

Hello Bernt,

I had the same problem at some point in time. Nothing changed by performing the instructions outlined in the FAQ/README (that guenther kindly reproduced below).

It was not until I built Gimp that things went in order. I figure the package does something special (some sort of cache rebuild, etc) that puts the menus in order.

I would be nice to know what exactly is needed to have the correct menu entries.

HTH,

Vincent

Bernd Muent wrote:
guenther schrieb:

... there are no apps listed on my freshly compiled garnome 2.10.1.
What to do? How do I (re)generate the menus?

XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$GARNOME/etc/xdg

export XDG_DATA_DIRS XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

$GARNOME/bin/update-desktop-database
$GARNOME/bin/update-mime-database $GARNOME/share/mime

Run the above commands as the user who built GARNOME and set $GARNOME
before. Log in again.

Unfortunately this does not change anything. $GARNOME is set to "/opt/gnome".
I builded garnome with the user root.
When I start update-desktop-database with "-v" there are about 100 warnings like that:
File '/opt/gnome/share/applications/xchat.desktop' lacks MimeType key

In /opt/gnome/share/mime there are hundreds of mime types in .xml files.

Any other idea? B.

--
Reclaim Your Inbox!