Re: Gnome menu empty after installation

> I had the same problem at some point in time. Nothing changed by
> performing the instructions outlined in the FAQ/README (that guenther
> kindly reproduced below).

Well, FWIW, that was a snipped from my own 'update' named script, which
works for me and  does exactly what we are talking about...

> It was not until I built Gimp that things went  in order. I figure the
> package does something special (some sort of cache rebuild, etc) that
> puts the menus in order.

Well, I don't see what this got to do with an image manipulation
program.

> I would be nice to know what exactly is needed to have the correct menu
> entries.

Uhm... The commands mentioned above?

> >> XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share
> >> XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$GARNOME/etc/xdg
> >>
> >> export XDG_DATA_DIRS XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
> >>
> >> $GARNOME/bin/update-desktop-database
> >> $GARNOME/bin/update-mime-database $GARNOME/share/mime
> >>
> >> Run the above commands as the user who built GARNOME and set $GARNOME
> >> before. Log in again.
> >
> > Unfortunately this does not change anything. $GARNOME is set to
> > "/opt/gnome".

So, is that your GARNOME $main_prefix?

> > I builded garnome with the user root.

*sigh*  I rewrote the README about "building as root" to be more strong.
There is no reason at all, why anyone needs to build as root. Just do
NOT build as root.

Paul, can we *please* get this fucking patch in into stable snapshots,
unstable snapshots and the website?

If anyone can come up with any good reason, no matter how weird it is,
why someone may need to build as root -- please, try to convince me. As
of yet, there is none.

> > When I start update-desktop-database with "-v" there are about 100
> > warnings like that:
> > File '/opt/gnome/share/applications/xchat.desktop' lacks MimeType key

To be expected. Xchat is not intended to be the default application for
any MIME type...

I just did a quick check. Running without -v does not spew anything.
Which includes *no error messages*. Running with -v does spew a lot of
warnings like you mentioned. There is nothing wrong with that.

OK, so what did you run *exactly*? Why do you think it does not work?
Did you log in again? After building GARNOME, did you kill bonobo?

> > In /opt/gnome/share/mime there are hundreds of mime types in .xml files.

Yes, there are. Cause those commands finished just fine...

$ grep Created $GARNOME/share/mime/application/x-core.xml
<!--Created automatically by update-mime-database. DO NOT EDIT!-->

...guenther