Re: garnome 2.10 compile /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext

Simon wrote on 04/08/05 21:24:

> Joachim Feise wrote:
>

>>Simon wrote on 4/7/2005 12:42:
>>
>>>OK... Ive had a loog at the config.log
>>>(garnome-2.10.0.1/desktop/gnome-utils/work/main.d/gnome-utils-2.10.0/config.log)...
>>>can you help me with what im supposed to be looking for.. Here is just
>>>one of the errors?
>>>
>>>configure:2716: $? = 0
>>>configure:2719: test -s conftest.o
>>>configure:2722: $? = 0
>>>configure:2740: result: none needed
>>>configure:2758: cc -c -I/root/garnome/include -L/root/garnome/lib -O2
>>>-pipe -I/root/garnome/include conftest.c >&5
>>>conftest.c:2: error: parse error before "me"
>>>configure:2764: $? = 1
>>>configure: failed program was:
>>>

>>Hmm, looks as if the programs looks for the C++ compiler, and only finds the C
>>compiler. Do you have g++ installed?
>>OTOH, conftest.c has the file extension usually associated with a C file, so gcc
>>defaults to using the C compiler. You can force it to use the C++ compiler with
>>-x c++
>

> Had a look at that... and yes i have g++ installed (Version: 4:3.3.5-3).
>   Ive checked and installed just about everything i could find to do
> with g++, but still no luck... Can you help me a little more to force it
> ot use the C++ compiler? Ive taken a look at your instrctions above...
> But cant find a 'conftest.c' file??
>
> Simon

conftest.c is created on the fly from the configure script.
Essentially, every test that configure does involves creating a small
test program called conftest.c, compile it and check what errors, if
any, showed up.
I generally don't recommend modifying configure, unless you have
experience with large shell scripts.
In any case, I just looked at the configure script in question, and this
looks as if it isn't really an error.
The comment in the configure script is:
# Some people use a C++ compiler to compile C.  Since we use `exit',
# in C++ we need to declare it.  In case someone uses the same compiler
# for both compiling C and C++ we need to have the C++ compiler decide
# the declaration of exit, since it's the most demanding environment.
So, the script tries to figure out which compiler you are using, and you
are using a C compiler to compile C code, which is the normal way.
Your ld error has nothing to do with this.

-Joe