Re: suggestion on improving the build-process

guenther wrote:

I'm using garnome to build GNOME 2.8 on Slackware. When using garnome, the
build process is often halted when some dependency is not met.
Since the build process typically takes a many hours to complete,
such interruptions during the build process means that I can't just start
building, and come back when the build is complete.

There are severeal ways to improve this situation, (I'm sure someone are
aware of others?): Fixing the dependencies before the build-process is
one.

Actually, there are plans for checking and satisfying dependencies
before building. However, this highly depends on the distro and version.
Which makes it a pretty tough task. It might eventually be part of
GARNOME.

Apart from that, the README mentions required dependencies for two
systems.

And there are other dependency lists and even scripts out there, solving
this issue for particular distros. See Bob's GARNOME Extras site [1].

Another is, if a compile-error is detected, to continue building
other garnome packages if the package which failed was not "mandatory" by
some definition. Garnome could still produce a working GNOME-system, even
if for example GnomeMeeting is not compiled. (no offence to gnomemeeting
:) At the end of the garnome build, I could then decide if I want to go
back and fix the remaining build errors.

Run 'make install' instead of 'make paranoid-install' for meta garballs
like platform/ and desktop/. It already does this.

However, it does not "report" failed packages. But you sure could check
for missing 'build' or 'install' cookies to get a list of broken
packages.

It would be nice if we had a report when make install is finished. A list of all failed packages and why they failed would help very much. This should be written to a log file. So I could simply start make install and after some hours come back and check what did nor work.

greets,

Christian