can I seperate the build and install process with garnome?

Hi!
I know how to do a make paranoid-install and it works well.

I'd like to have the option of just building the source without
installing it. The reason being that I would like to install over
existing gnome installation. So I'd like to do a make, then shutdown
gnome, and do a make install, and restart with the new gnome (build via
garnome).
Can someone give me some pointers on how I'd go about this?
cheers,
--Frank