Re: Problem installing garnome

Alessandro Orru wrote:

Matt Rose ha scritto:

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Alessandro Orru wrote:

Hi, I've tried many versions of garnome (2.5.92, 2.6.1 RC, Bob's Arch how-to etc.) but I always get this error on make paranoid-install:

Hard answer: fix the source so that you can compile it with 2.95. I used to run into these errors all the time, and I used to be good at fixing them, but then I tried the easy answer, which is

Upgrade to gcc > 3.0 I would recommend the easy answer, unless you're really interested in testing gcc-2.95 compatibility.

The problem is that I have gcc 3.2.3, bundled into slackware 9.1 !
Any other solution?

Are you using gcc-3.2.3 for compiling or is gcc-2.95.x the default gcc that is beeing utilized. gcc-3.2.3 should work fine. If not file a bug report and normally it will get fixed if it's not too weird an error. Or compile gcc-3.3.4 which I used before upgrading to gcc-3.4.0 and that worked fine too. Compiling gcc is not a very scary task. Upgrading glibc sounds more scary to me but fortunatly for me slackware has pkgtool for this.

btw I'm running slackware 8.0 for 3 years now and have upgraded half the install already without any major issue

Cheers,

Stef