Re: Clear all old Gnome data?

> > Yes, the backends for the application *data* [1] like Contacts and
> > Calendar. Kill them with 'evolution --force-shutdown', if you wanna
> > manually mess with the mentioned data.
>
> Yes, that's the cleaner solution.
> Formerly this was called "killev" I suppose.

Yep, back in ancient Evo <= 1.2.x days... ;)

> > Note: Likely a lot of the data in ~/.gconf/ are user [2] settings, for
> > example Evolution stores account data and stuff like that there (since
> > 1.3.x). Be careful, if you wanna remove all Gnome settings, you might
> > harm even personal settings.
>
> Yes. It should be well-known that messing with GConf might be risky.

Sure, you are right. But as the OP denied knowledge of ~/.gconf/
directory, I felt the strong urge to warn about removing blindly...

> > Even worse: The previously mentioned ~/evolution/ directory does not
> > hold much of the settings these days, cause the majority of them is
> > stored using GConf. However, all your application *data* is stored in
> > there: Local mails (POP3), Contacts, Calendar, ... You likely don't
> > wanna remove them.
>
> Correct. As I have written some scripts to allow "global configuration"
> (better: replication) of Evolution accounts for all users, there really
> ARE important data in ~/evolution :( [E.g. directory server used for
> contats configuration] Let's wait what new Evo 2.0 will bring, I've read
> on the blogs, they are going to make some kind of account/settings
> lockdown...

Yeah, there is still some necessary data left in ~/evolution/ directory,
which finally will be ~/.evolution/ by default in 2.0 (and the current
1.5.x devel versions) FYI.

AFAIK the lockdown functionality seems not to be settled yet, this is
work in progress. There is some discussion ongoing on the hackers
mailing lists. It is planned to support some lockdown settings with Evo
2.0. (Though I am not that close to the loop currently, cause time
limited me to lurking mode only... ;)

...guenther