Re: gnome-applets-2.9.2 fails, needs libxklavier >= 1.12

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 18:06 +0100, Jens Bech Madsen wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 23:08 -0800, Bob Kashani wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 23:07 -0600, J. Gardner Biggs wrote:
> > > Shouldn't this patch error be common to all who try to use garnome?  or
> > > is something broken in my FC3?
> >
> > Most people run stable...only the truly psychotic run unstable. :)
>
> That's definitely a big change. Garnome was originally an easy way to
> build the development releases of Gnome. Lately it has turned into being
> mainly a way of installing stable releases. Maybe it's because jhbuild
> is working so well (and is even more bleeding edge for us psychotics)?

Yes, GARNOME was originally developed for people to build the most
recent tarballs of the development branch of GNOME as you already know
Jens. But ever since that Paul Drain guy showed up :-) with the stable
releases of GARNOME things have changed a bit. But GARNOME is a little
different then jhbuild in that we try to but together releases that will
hopefully compile and run for most people whether it's the stable or
unstable branch. Where as jhbuild which grabs it's sources from CVS
and/or tarballs (most people use CVS) doesm't make any attempt to make
sure that things will compile and run. Hence jhbuild is the uber-
bleeding edge for psychotics build system and GARNOME is the hopefully a
little saner build system. :)

I guess this is one of those, "If you build it, they will come"
situations. I also think that it may have something to do with the fact
that GNOME is now a lot more stable than it used to be and therefore
there isn't a dire need for most people to run the latest bleeding edge
packages to get the functionality that they need. For example I used to
run the development branch as my main desktop a year ago where as today
I run stable.

Bob

--
Bob Kashani