Re: gedit in garnome 0.27.1

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 12:26, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
> Jens Bech Madsen wrote:
>
> >I didn't mean to suggest rebuilding those would help. I think it is just
> >debugging output meant for the developers. I think you can safely ignore
> >those warnings. I get them with a variety of programs without having
> >problems with them.
> >
> >The question is why gedit doesn't work for you. Running it through gdb
> >or strace are still my only suggestions...
> >

> >Cheers,
> >Jens
> >

> Jens,
>
> My only problem with this is that I've never used gdb or strace before,
> and while I took a look at gdb last night, it scared me witless.  I
> spent about an hour seeing if I could get gdb to run gedit but despite
> reading the man page and looking at the options I couldn't get gdb to
> give me any output that looked even vaguely meaningful.  In fact I'm
> still not sure if gdb even ran gedit at all.  I appreciate that this is
> down to my stupidity and not any fault with gdb, but I'm not a developer
> and I'm feeling a little out of my depth with this one.  Is there a
> recommended 'beginners guide to gdb' out there for non-developers?

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/getting-traces.cgi

That page explains how to get the trace. It is quite straightforward,
actually, when all you want is a stacktrace from a crashed application.
I would suggest getting that a trace with gdb as explained in that page
and put it in your bugreport in bugzilla.

Cheers,
Jens