Re: Newbie Question: cd meta && make install

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 12:35:09AM +1000, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> At 11:46 PM 5/10/2003, hostmaster wrote:
> >After downloading garnome and performing the necessary configuration, I
> >run it using the following commands:
> >
> >$ cd meta
> >$ make install
> >
> >After a couple of minutes of compilation, it failed because of some
> >missing libraries.  This is then when I realized that I was in the wrong
> >directory.  So my question now is what is the difference between calling
> >make install in the meta directory compared to running it under
> >meta/gnome-desktop?
>
> I guess it has to do with dependancies. If you examine the Makefile in the
> meta/gnome-desktop directory, you will notice heaps of dependancies listed.
> These aren't listed in the meta/ Makefile.

When you run make install from a top level directory, you are essentially cd-ing
into all of the subdirectories and running the command there, so all of
the dependencies should be taken care of.

gnome-desktop should be the first directory (it is alphabetically), so
the until the gnome-desktop completes, it should be just like installing
from that directory.

Were the error cleared by running make install from the correct
directory?  If so, what were the original errors?

--
GPG public key:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9D5B8762