Re: A gripe and some questions

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 20:34, Nick wrote:
> When I log in w/ the new Gnome, the startup splash screen persists for
> minutes (not a typo--several minutes).  It looks like it's loading the
> multi-applet.  Attached is a screen shot for reference.

I'm also encountering this, from a clean config
(rm'd ~/gnome* ~/gconf*)

my cheap work-around has been to shuffle it off to a different virtual
screen with alt+shirt+cursors

( or you can disable the spash completely in gnome-session-properties :
Preferences -> Advanced -> Sessions )

> Although the splash screen is visible, it doesn't prevent me from
> working.  I can start applications, etc.  Top reports that ____ is using
> ~ ___% of the CPU.  Anyone else encounter this?
>
> I've noticed many screen shots from people that have rounded corners for
> their windows.  RH 9 defaults w/ this configuration.  Is that
> accomplished via a specific window manager or theme?  Which one?

This is metacity, yes some themes are rounded - great examples are
RedHat's Bluecurve and Ximian's Industrial themes - both built in
garnome/misc/ .. or visit art.gnome.org for more.

> Lastly, my weather applet no longer works (it worked fine in the old
> Gnome).  It always reports, "There was an error retrieving the forecast"
> and displays question marks in the panel.  Any ideas?

I believe this breakage is due to where the data is retrieved from, and
it appears the author is aware and working on a fix (and considering a
longer-term fix to prevent this happening again):

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-July/msg00119.html

> Regards,
> Nick G.

Shaun.