A gripe and some questions

When I log in w/ the new Gnome, the startup splash screen persists for
minutes (not a typo--several minutes).  It looks like it's loading the
multi-applet.  Attached is a screen shot for reference.

Although the splash screen is visible, it doesn't prevent me from
working.  I can start applications, etc.  Top reports that ____ is using
~ ___% of the CPU.  Anyone else encounter this?

I've noticed many screen shots from people that have rounded corners for
their windows.  RH 9 defaults w/ this configuration.  Is that
accomplished via a specific window manager or theme?  Which one?

Lastly, my weather applet no longer works (it worked fine in the old
Gnome).  It always reports, "There was an error retrieving the forecast"
and displays question marks in the panel.  Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick G.