Re: GARNOME-0.18.3/meta/gnome-desktop compiles smoothly and works ok on LFS-4.0

Pat Suwalski wrote:

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Krzysztof Gora wrote:
I understand the main purpose of garnome : testing. But I think that garnome is the fast (probably the fastest) and easy (probably the easiest) way of building gnome-2 from sources only, as a 'central' dm also.

I would like to add that Gentoo's emerge does a beautiful job for stable
packages...

Thanks Pat. My 'step by step' journey with gnome was started a few weeks ago (with linux a few months ago), so .. apologies for lack of knowledge.
I start to using Gentoo just now, thanks.

It would be nice (I hope) to implement another set of prefixes in gar.conf.mk to allow installing 'general purpose' libraries (like libxml, pango ..) in different location (/usr for example). It would be (more) nice to additionally implement switch which will allow to exlude these libraries
from dependencies and to use already installed.

Yes, we've been over this. I think what it came down to is that because
GARNOME is intended exclusively as testing, it should never be installed
in /usr. It could easily damage a person's ability to use their computer.
Even if they did not complain here, Jeff doesn't want anyone to think that
Gnome screwed up their computer.
I see,  I understand. You are right.
I'll be using garnome exlusively for testing and for exploring the hottest components of gnome with pleasure. :-)

When installed in something like /opt/gnome2 it's safe. The existing
environment is preserved.

Jezeli potrzebujesz pomoc po Polsku, mozesz wyslac mi eMail.

Dzięki, to bardzo miły gest :-)

--Pat

Cheers,

Chris