Re: moving the garnome directory - Conclusions

Thanks Jeff for all your help.

Here my summary instructions to move the garnome directory:

This summary applies ONLY in the case you had previously installed
garnome using the standard procedure at $HOME/garnome

IMPORTANT:

- You MUST recompile in order to relocate to a new directory
- Recompiling will NOT work by just modifying the value of prefix

So, here it goes:

To prevent downloading the *tar.gz and *tar.bz2 files again do the
following:

   mkdir /somepath/garnome
   mv garnome-0.12.0/gnome/*/download/* /somepath/garnome/.

now you can get rid of

garnome-0.12.0

unpack garnome-0.12.0.tar.gz into a fresh subdirectory

     tar -xvzf garnome-0.12.0.tar.gz

cd garnome-0.12.0

and modify the following lines in gar.conf.mk:

     FILE_SITES = file://$(FILEDIR)/

    FILE_SITES = file://$(FILEDIR)/ file:///somepath/garnome/

and:

    prefix ?= $HOME/garnome

    prefix ?= /usr/local/garnome

or your favorite path

THEN

    cd meta/gnome-desktop
    make install

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 14:55, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Mario J. Borgnia">
>
> > No, you did not. But in any case, I read the README file, and there is a
> > bug, it says:
> >
> >      FILE_SITES = file://$(FILEDIR)/
> >      file:///home/user/downloads/garnome/
> >
> > which does NOT work, instead of:
> >
> > FILE_SITES = file://$(FILEDIR)/ file:///home/user/downloads/garnome/
>
> The wonders of line wrapping. :-)
>
> > but, in addition, there is no mention of where to get the garball from,
> > and that is the origin of my question. Hopefully by making this explicit
> > in the mail-list, other users will benefit.
>
> garballs are GAR packages, they're the directories in the tree that you
> start builds in. *tar*balls are downloaded under those directories.
>
> - Jeff
>
> --
>    It makes perfect sense. If you're a narcissistic arsehole spawned from
>                             a curdled gene pool.
+---------------------------------+
| Mario J. Borgnia, Ph. D.        |
|                                 |
| Lab of Cell Biology             |
| NIH NCI/CCR                     |
| 50 South Drive Rm 4306 MSC 8008 |
| Bethesda MD 20892-8008          |
|                                 |
| Tel: (301) 594 0563             |
| mborgnia nih gov                |
+---------------------------------+
"Those who would sacrifice
 essential freedoms for temporary
 safety deserve neither."
               -- Benjamin Franklin

..."WHEREAS disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in
barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the
advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech
and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the
highest aspiration of the common people,"...

	-- From the preamble to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights