Re: running gnome2

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 12:02, garnome-list-request gnome org wrote:

> i've tried to configure conf files as suggested on news.gnome.org but to now
> avail.  just makes my system worst.  i've tried to create a .xsession file
> in my home directory with the new paths and library paths.  i've also tried
> to add them to my .bashrc like a different thread mentioned.  my biggest
> problem is that i don't know the start up process for xwindows/gnome so i
> can't really debug what is going on.  i don't know what is happening behind
> the scenes.
>

> From: Nick Murtagh <murtaghn tcd ie>
> Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 03:07:06 +0100
>

> basically, you start X, and then run gnome-session. mandrake and
> possibly other distros put a lot of stuff in the way, but that's what
> it comes down to.
>
> nick

I have Slackware 8, and it was pretty simple for me to get Gnome 2 to
run by changing the "gnome" shell script I use to start.  This is built
based on the default startx script that is installed either by slackware
or Xwin.  It sets up all the background then runs gnome-session.  All I
did was specify the gnome-session in the garnome/bin folder (after I
backed-up my .gnome folder in my home directory).

The script is located in my /usr/X11R6/bin/ path.  It basically takes
client and server args (which I don't ever supply, except as defined in
the default files) and calls xinit.  This uses an xinitrc file which
calls gnome-session.  The one referenced in my startg script is
xinitrc.gnome2 (the client args).  I have several of these scripts:
startg for gnome, startg2 for gnome2, startk for Kde.

Hope this is useful for your system.