esd oss and alsa

I'm running a .10.1, and have issues running alot of sound apps.
(rhythmbox, xmms, the flash plugin in galeon/mozilla) when I'm in the
gnome2 desktop env.

if I try to start rhythmbox or esd from the command line I get this:

audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit
failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit stereo.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for 22.05Khz, stereo, 8bit
failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 16bit mono.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for 44.1Khz, mono, 8bit
failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit mono.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for 22.05Khz, mono, 8bit
failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit stereo.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for 11.025Khz, stereo, 8bit
failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit mono.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for 11.025Khz, mono, 8bit
failed
Trying 8.192Khz, 8bit mono.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for 8.192Khz, mono, 8bit
failed
Trying 8Khz, 8bit mono.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Sound device inadequate for Esound. Fatal.

esd, will just quite, rhythmbox just hangs there.

I'm running with oss sound drivers, and alsa not running.. so I'm not
sure whats happening, I'd appreciate any help. thanks.

oh, I'm on digest so please cc, me personally on replies.