bad build?

Morning

As I noted yesterday gnome-terminal does not start up. So I decided to
play with the configure script to see if I could find out why (heej the
rest is working, so why not this)

I am builing in a virtual machine (vmware rulez) and I installed from
slackware 8.1 only the bare necessities (base, compiler, X).

During running of configure I could a warning that
/usr/X11/lib/libXft.so.1 could interfere with
/opt/garnome/lib/libXft.so.2 So i decided to move Xft.so.1 out of the
way and recompile gnome-terminal. Which now all of a sudden complaints
about:
/opt/garnome/lib/libXft.so: undefined reference to
`XRenderQuerySubpixelOrder'

So now I am getting the sneaky suspicion that the whole build of garnome
might be suspect.

Any suggestions here?
I am currently contemplating one of two steps:
1 download X from the xfree86.org and using that one to rebuild garnome
again.
2 rebuild gnome with the Xft from X11 out of the way

Ron