Re: Themes, applications, etc?

Hi,

Jeff Waugh wrote:

<quote who="Sandeep Khanna">

Why are the themes (Main Menu-->Desktop Preferences-->Themes) not working in Garnome 0.13.0? Even if I select the Metal OR Redmond theme it doesn't change anything. This used to work fine in Garnome 0.12 !

No idea, more details required.

That is all that I could tell you. I even installed the gtk-cleanice-engine, gtk-thinice-engine and their entries showed up in the Themes dialog

(Main Menu-->Desktop Preferences-->Themes). But, Unfortunately, when I select/highlight/double-click/click any of the entries nothing happens !!! In the previous (Garnome 0.12), just clicking on any one of the entries would change the default theme instantly, but no in Garnome 0.13 !

I see that there are so many other directories(applications) in garnome/gnome sub-directory. Are all of those downloaded, compiled and installed when we do the main "make install" while installing Garnome 0.13.0 OR Do we need to separately do a "make install" in their individual sub-directories?

The "main make install"? The one most people do first is the gnome-desktop
meta garball. There's lots of other stuff in there that you can build (both
as meta garballs and the individual garballs).

What do you mean by "meta garballs" and "individual garballs" ? I just installed totem by going in the source tree garnome/gnome/totem and did a make install. Is this what you mean by individual garball?

Also, I see that we can download, compile and install the respective application by going into it's directory and doing a "make install" but, How do I uninstall an application? I tried doing a make install in it's source directory from where I had done a "make install", But, It did not work

Is there a good configuration utility for Metacity other than the GConf-Editor?

There is metacity-setup, but I haven't put it in GARNOME as metacity will
have its own control panels in time, and I'm not too fond of metacity-setup.

I had seen some screenshots on the internet of people using GTK-XFce engine with Gnome 2 ! What are the advantages of doing so and can we do the same in Garnome? If yes, how?

It's just another theme (and not a particularly good one). It's not in
GARNOME at the moment, but with interest I may add it (as I have with other
themes already in GARNOME).

My battery applet still does not show up in the main menu panel inspite of me adding it. It also shows in the GConf-Editor in the list of applets currently active in the panel. Why can't we delete entries in the left pane in the GConf-Editor?

Not sure, works here on my PPC.

Well, my battery applet surely does not show up although, I see it's entry in the GConf-Editor !!! That's not good.

The long unanswered question that "Why do my keys just get typed only once when I am holding them down?" is still unanswered. I tried enabling the keyboard repeat option, but, that just prints out each key typed twice and stops. It also does not go on !! as is the desired behaviour.

By PPC, what do you exactly mean? Is it a Apple iBook with a Power PC processor? I always wondered about it. If so, how is the performance on it as compared to on Intel/AMD based PC laptops/desktops? I ask since, I am thinking of buying an Apple iBook as my next laptop. Any pointers/tips/comparison sites would help.

- Jeff

Thanks,
Sandeep