Help on Pre-downloading?

NOTE: A longer version of this message was sent to the garnome-list before I registered. I don't know if it'll be posted (the list response indicates that it might), but if it does, please ignore it.

For various reasons, I won't be able to use Garnome until I can download *all* the packages ahead of time before compiling.

Ideally, I'd like to make two makefiles that can be placed in the garnome-XX.XX.XX/meta/gnome-desktop directory. One makefile would download all the required files without compiling anything. The other makefile would compile all required files without downloading. (Of course, both would be options of the regular Makefile but let's keep things simple for now). I'd prefer this solution since it's possible to fold it into the main Garnome for people who are doing multi-machine installs or for people doing installs through dialup (who don't want to tie up the phone line more than they have to). In theory, it should be possible to modify the garnome-XX.XX.XX/meta/gnome-desktop Makefile to add the appropriate build targets, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Failing this, I would like to pre-download all the Garnome files that I need. I've tried going to the FTP site and downlowing the appropriate Garnome directory, but unfortunately all the versions of the files are kept in the same directory structure, so if you try to download the tree, you're downloading all versions. This is too bandwidth intensive for my quota. Does anyone know of an easy way of getting only the appropriate versions of these files?

Without either of these workarounds, I'm stuck with GNOME 1.4.;-( Yes I know that there are other ways of migrating to GNOME 2, but Garnome (with it's option to install-anywhere-without-messing-up-your-system) is the only one I'm willing to risk my main workstation with.

I'd greatly appreciate any help or suggestions on what I can do.

Thank you,
	Robert