Re: [gamin] Tty to port gamin to Solaris

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:18:00PM +0800, Henry Zhang wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for reply...
>
> I looked through the Gamin website, find several question, could you
> give any comments?
>
> 1. "No system wide server, instead it relies on per user server, if
> needed started on demand by the fam/gamin library."
>
> Is it means each user ID have a fam-server? if so, in thin-client/server

  yes if they have program running using FAM APIs

> mode, for example SunRay, there are lots of users, and connect to
> server, so have to create lots of fam-server? how to handle them? will
> cause some performance problem?

  No idea, you will have to check, the cost is of course dependant on
the efficiency of the interfaces provided by the system

> 2.any progress on portability?
> I noticed this: "At this point Gamin is fairly tied to Linux,
> portability is not a primary goal at this stage"
> Also this in News: "fix build with Sun's compiler (James Andrewartha)"
> at http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/news.html,
>
> so seems Gamin can build at Solaris, is there any other progress?

  No idea, I don't compile on Solaris, I just take patches when I receive some
and they look good.

> 3. Does Gamin provide API's to watch the entire file path including
> symbolic links?

  Gamin implement only FAM's APIs, and no recursive support.

Daniel