[gamin] greedy gam_server

Julie,
Just in case you don't hear back from anyone who knows anything about gamin, I
looked on my own machine and found (with locate) several files with the name
gamin.   Many are in the directory /usr/share/doc/gamin-0.1.7/

One of them, README, has some reference information and is below.

I am running Fedora 5 and I am on this list since several months ago I had
some problem with gamin.  I got pissed when it was hogging resources and
deleted some file -- the problem went away.  Sorry I don't know which file I
deleted, but it seems to not have harmed me in any noticable way.

You and I may be the only ones on this list.  Good luck,
bruce

[bruce blacky gamin-0.1.7]$ cat README
Gamin is a file and directory monitoring system defined to be
a subset of the FAM (File Alteration Monitor) system.

 The main goals of the project are:
 1/ minimize the security model of FAM
 2/ simplify the code base
 3/ provide an API and ABI compatible replacement for FAM
 4/ try to fix some other issues like resource consumption

The project home page is (temporary) at:
  http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/

A mailing list is also available to discuss about this project,
see the following URL for subscription informations:

and the on-line archives:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gamin-list/

The CVS base is in the GNOME project CVS base at cvs.gnome.org, the
module name is 'gamin'. See
  http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html

From an historical point of view, gamin builds from the marmot project
authored by James Willcox and Corey Bowers and then heavilly modified
to turn it into a minimalist FAM replacement (Francophones will
appreciate the filiation from fam to marmot and gamin)

This library is available under the terms of the GNU LIBRARY GENERAL
PUBLIC LICENSE, and a copy of it should be found in the source under the
COPYING file.

Daniel Veillard
veillard redhat com

$date$