Re: [gamin] gam_server trying to access non-existence files in /home

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 05:33:28PM +0200, Philippe Roussel wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 09:39:42AM -0500, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> > Fixing the applications is obviously not feasible for me. This is a pretty
> > much default installation from Fedora project plus some install from other
> > repository.
> > You were saying that I may have problem with my configuration. I'm assuming
> > this is caused by the fact that my /home is on NFS share, since most people
> > doesn't seem to experience this. Any suggestion on how I might fix the
> > configuration part to deal with this problem ?
>
> Reuben, you can take a look at
> http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/config.html
>
> You can reduce the load on your nfs server using 'fsset nfs poll 10'.
> It tells gam_server to poll every 10 seconds on nfs mounted volumes.
>
> Philippe, a bypasser hoping he understood it right :o)

  yes and no :-)
the config option can change the behaviour, yes
but forcing to poll on NFS is likely to increase the effect, instead
of relying on local change detection for existing resources and poll
only on missing resources, it will then force to use poll for all
resources, which may be worse in the end (but worth trying).

To fix the problem exposed there is no other way than find why
some application are asking to monitor some non-existent file, and
that is not related to the FS type, it may not be related to
the default install, that could be wrong configuration options
or legacy paths lefts in the users preference, stuff like that.
And for this there is no other option than following the indications
I gave and find out what apps is doing it and then why. So Reuben,
no you won't get a magic switch which will find why some apps look
for non-existent data on your home, be it NFS or not.

Daniel