Re: [gamin] gam_server trying to access non-existence files in /home

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 09:20:54AM -0500, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> So my question is, why does gam_server try to poll non-existence files
> in /home ?

  Because some application asked to monitor that non-exitent file,
and in the absence of the file, only poll can be used to check when it
may appear.

> Sometimes what gam_server tries to poll seems very random, for
> example this morning I saw it tried to poll /home/mmk, /home/.directory, etc.
> I don't even know where it came up with those.

gam_server didn't invented them, those were request made by other applications.
See http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/debug.html#Debugging1 for debugging
you can send SIGUSR2 to gam_server

> Is this a problem with
> gam_server, or a problem with my configuration ?

 the later

> Is there anything I can do
> to stop this ?

  Fix the applications to not ask for monitoring of non-existent files.

Daniel