Re: [gamin] monitoring of links

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 01:32:52AM +1000, TomPh wrote:
> Hi Daniel
> >   For the third patch, 2 seconds are way too long, it makes the tests
> > really slow, I reduced it to 0.5 seconds
> I picked 2 secs to reliably span some checks that are done in, IIRC, the
> inotify and kqueue backends, with a timer interval of 1 sec. Here, on
> my slowish box, the 11 basic tests take about 75 secs to complete, and
> in the grand scheme of things, that didn't seem too much to cope with.

  I run make tests nearly each time I make a change. Waiting more than
a minute for this is long without clear added benefits to me. The semantic
of expect which is to check the events are there and move on as soon as
reached is precisely to minimise the time to run the tests. The "without
clear added benefit" is because the kind of event received is logged too
and checked by the regression tests and not just the number of them.
Last but not least those testing.c tests are very very minimal compared
to the amount of checking done by the python tests which are way more thorough.

> , reran make tests and now
> > tests 8 and 9 fails with apparently missed events while the library
> > and the server code didn't change, so I consider this third patch
> > bogus and it won't be commited as is, we need to check what is really
> > going on.
> Hmmm ... no failure here, for those tests (I used cvs code from
> about a week ago, built with inotify, dnotify, no debugging, fresh
> installed over anything prior).
>
> You didn't mention extra reports from any prior test or part thereof,
> so the wait-intervals should be indistinguishable from pauses
> initiated for any other reason. Wonder why such would affect gamin at
> all, much less cause loss of report(s) in later test(s) ... Can you
> please post your test results for us to ponder?

running test 8
*** ../tests/result/8   2004-10-15 09:25:29.000000000 +0200
--- result.8    2005-09-02 17:54:58.496732932 +0200
***************
*** 5,12 ****
  mkdir /tmp/test_gamin
  1: /tmp/test_gamin Created: NULL
  mkfile /tmp/test_gamin/foo
! 1: foo Created: NULL
  rmfile /tmp/test_gamin/foo
! 1: foo Deleted: NULL
  disconnected
  rmdir /tmp/test_gamin
--- 5,12 ----
  mkdir /tmp/test_gamin
  1: /tmp/test_gamin Created: NULL
  mkfile /tmp/test_gamin/foo
! expect line 8: got 0 of 1 expected events
  rmfile /tmp/test_gamin/foo
! expect line 11: got 0 of 1 expected events
  disconnected
  rmdir /tmp/test_gamin
running test 9
*** ../tests/result/9   2004-10-12 22:43:05.000000000 +0200
--- result.9    2005-09-02 17:55:08.570200863 +0200
***************
*** 4,12 ****
  1: /tmp/test_gamin Exists: NULL
  1: /tmp/test_gamin EndExist: NULL
  mkfile /tmp/test_gamin/foo
! 1: /tmp/test_gamin Changed: NULL
  append /tmp/test_gamin/foo
  rmfile /tmp/test_gamin/foo
! 1: /tmp/test_gamin Changed: NULL
  disconnected
  rmdir /tmp/test_gamin
--- 4,12 ----
  1: /tmp/test_gamin Exists: NULL
  1: /tmp/test_gamin EndExist: NULL
  mkfile /tmp/test_gamin/foo
! expect line 8: got 0 of 1 expected events
  append /tmp/test_gamin/foo
  rmfile /tmp/test_gamin/foo
! expect line 14: got 0 of 1 expected events
  disconnected
  rmdir /tmp/test_gamin

  Reproductible, after one minute waiting for all the other previous tests,
RHEL 4 with dnotify.

Daniel