Re: [gamin] socket credentials patch for NetBSD

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 11:30:10AM -0400, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> >  We disagree on the importance of the debugging information.
>
> We're not disagreeing.  In fact, I agree with you!  I was just asking
> whether my understanding of how the PID information was used by gamin
> was correct, which you confirmed.

  okay, maybe I misunderstood.

> >  again non-conditionalized platform changes, you change data for all OSes
> >You may submit later a second patch explaining why this would need to be
> >changed, but I don't want to see this as part of a "make gamin work on
> >NetBSD"
> >patch.
>
> Okay, that's fine.  This is your project, and I'll comply with your
> rules.  I do have access to all three platforms under discussion
> (NetBSD, FreeBSD, and Linux), and I did test on all three before
> submitting my patches.  However, to honor your wishes, I'll submit two
> separate patches: one with "#ifdef NetBSD" that adds only support for
> NetBSD, and another that consolidates the code for all three platforms
> so that differences are minimal.

  Some of the thing I pointed at were not consolidation, well at least I
could not understand without explanation why the removal of file metadata
checks could be considered just adding a platform support or integrating
it. Removing the metadata check certainly would not hamper "make tests"
from working, but it clearly was agaisnt whoever made the first BSD port
opinion about secure operation. Removing it without warning or explanations
was to me a showstopper.

Daniel