Re: [gamin] monitoring of links

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 08:11:23PM +1000, TomPh wrote:
> > For your review, attached test-cases 13 and 14 each include various
> > tests for links to dirs and files/non-dirs, respectively. The
> > corresponding results files have my best guess of what they should
> > be. Haven't been able to achieve those results, with any server
> > backend that works on linux. Nor have I got around to figuring out
> > FAM.
>
>   Well I don't think it makes sense to add test if we know they would
> fail and we don't have a good idea of what the actual behaviour
> should be.

Indeed. I was hoping that some of the crew with more history than me
would think about and comment on what the results should be, before
anyone takes a shot at making gamin pass the tests that we end up with.

> > The link-test patch provides for making links, and changing their
> > ownership (to get around prohibitions on changing link permissions).
> > Incidentally, it adds a test for more-reports-than-expected, which
> > shows up one or two of the existing basic test-cases, but not
> > fatally so.
>
>   I don't know if this is what you meant, but applying your patch
> makes "make tests" fail while it was passing before. So well, I won't
> apply it. You can split the part adding the new commands which is a
> good idea. For the other part forcing failures on existing tests,
> suggest separately the patch and explain why you think "make tests"
> should be breaking from the very first test... I have a hard time
> understanding how this can be a good idea.

Too-many reports can be just as damaging for a client as not-enough, as
you will well understand. Particularly with the link-related tests, the
prospect of superfluous reporting is increased. Hence the addition of a
check for that outcome.

With that check in effect and running 'make tests', here I see extra
reports for basic test 10 only, as follows:

running test 10
*** ../tests/result/10	2005-05-12 21:38:22.000000000 +1000
--- result.10	2005-08-26 23:00:07.000000000 +1000
***************
*** 6,14 ****
--- 6,16 ----
  1: /tmp/test_gamin Exists: NULL
  1: subdir Exists: NULL
  1: /tmp/test_gamin EndExist: NULL
+ expect line 7: expected 2 events but got 3
  monfile /tmp/test_gamin/subdir/foo 1
  2: /tmp/test_gamin/subdir/foo Exists: NULL
  2: /tmp/test_gamin/subdir/foo EndExist: NULL
+ expect line 10: expected 1 events but got 2
  cancel 0 2
  1: /tmp/test_gamin Acknowledge: NULL
  append /tmp/test_gamin/subdir/foo

Both of those extra reports look to me like they are right, and
indicate a problem with the results file, not with gamin's performance.
So fix the results file ...

> > And it no longer stops the test when the no. of events is wrong.
> > That occasionally caused havoc when thing(s) created in a test were
> > not cleaned up at the end of the test.
>
>  "make tests" was removing remains that was okay.
Basic test 11 does not exit cleanly when run against --disable-kernel.
In turn, that stuffs up most of the rest of the basic tests in that
configuration.

Tom